Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2006, 02:44 PM
Forum Newbie

Question Tpes of Project Management

Does anyone have a definition/description for what constitutes a type of project? ie. Capital, Improvement, Procurement, etc.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Hi PMTM, welcome to the forum.

Capital projects require an investment (capital) to build something new or improve something that already exists.

Improvement projects are a subset/type of captial project.

Procurement is a phase of (part of the scope of work for) projects that require an acquisition of materials or resources - be they capital projects, maintenance projects, R&D or something else.

That's how I see them.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:35 PM
Forum Newbie

Defining a type

I think the project or the portifolio manager should define what constitutes a project type. Although it may not be clear what is a project attribute and a project type, from the portfolio management standpoint any piece of information that helps you group projects likely to follow the same streamlined process is a type of project. I think the most important part is each business' being at some degree unique when it comes to their processes, so what I define as a type may not work for anybody else out there. The [URL="http://www.interneer.com"]Executive Project Management[/URL] of Interneer's brings the concept of portfolio management having this in mind. You can define your processes and also define what is a type for you for a project, so I think the best approach is to define the types yourself and if it doesn't work update it.