Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Forum Newbie

Is the PMP at the tail end of the hype cycle?

No doubt it has crossed the chasm into main steam project management and is in fact pretty much the world’s most widely recognized and sought after certification in the project management world and I’d go so far as to say one of the most popular among all certifications especially right now in the IT field. A recent ZD Net survey of the top 5 IT certifications that will be in demand for 2013 places the PMP in 3rd place...

[But]the PMP’s momentum may be peaking. It is about right at the “peak of inflated expectations” from the Gartner hype cycle, to having the majority of the early adopters already certified or getting certifications in the near future. I am personally witnessing from actual colleagues and project managers I talk and network with to what I see posted on PM discussion boards on popular sites like LinkedIn, that there’s indications of ”Trough of Disillusionment” outlined by Gartner where those who either obtained their PMPs to those who work with PMP certified PMs, where the quality of work expected from both ends are failing to meet the expectation set forth from it. Though this may be an anecdotal observation, I think its quite representative of the realities out there.

In addition, there has no doubt been a explosion of training providers offering boot camps, workshops and online courses with instruction all claiming to be able to allow you to “pass on your first try or your money back.” One of my pet peeves is that many (but not all) of these providers are all starting to look alike, provide low quality instruction and worse, instruct on the trite, banal, hackneyed and “water downed” project management practices and knowledge areas that is diminishing the spirit to which the PMP and the PMBOK to which it is applied...

Agile is still pretty hot, but it is showing signs that it may be peaking and is becoming a commodity as well.

What’s needed is innovation, creative destruction of PM dogmas and fresh perspectives so that the field keeps evolving and growing. For those on the frontier, its right about time for these to occur in the PM field!

To read more about this:

[url]http://www.projectation.com/is-the-pmp-at-the-tail-end-of-the-hype-curve/[/url]

Don Kim
[url]www.projectation.com[/url]

Last edited by projectation; 01-09-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:15 AM
Project Hobbyist

The very methodology of agile destructs of PM dogmas. But yes the PMs themselves need to skillfully adapt to an agile way of working.