Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Forum Newbie

Advice Needed from othr PM's

I have a difficult time with an advanced topic.

I am the most experienced of the 4 or 5 other PM's at my company, and I am to some degree a mentor to others due to my seniority and experience.

There is a "not fun" task (financial/budget related), that no other PM ever wants to do but me. Because of that, I am deemd an expert at this specific task. At times of importance, management has asked me to step in and essentailly do this task for other PM's, due to it's financial nature.

Because of this, a message is sent that they no longer really have to do it, because I always am asked to step in and help when it becomes critical. So others don't really want to do (or learn) this "not fun" task.

There is some "glory" to me always being the hero in a pinch. But at times, it's bothersome because I can't really focus on my project. I tried to explain each PM should be able to learn this as it's really their responsibility. But I am seen by management as not being helpful because I am the expert.

In simple terms, I am being asked to continually give them a fish, and it's frowned upon when i try to teach them how to fish.

Any ideas how to appeal to management without seeming like I don't want to help? Or should I jsut keep doing this task on all projects?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 AM
Forum Newbie

Practical Project Management

maybe you should check this blog [URL="http://123practicalpm.blogspot.com/"]http://123practicalpm.blogspot.com/[/URL] hope it will help to overcome the challenge. Good luck
Old 08-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Forum Newbie

Hi, could you sell it as mitigating a key man risk? If they don't learn how to do the task and you leave/go on holiday management will have a problem, generally management only do anything if they can see what's in it for them.

Hope this helps