Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management Knowledge Base > Scheduling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 01:36 AM
Forum Newbie

Assembly line precedessor types!

Hi,

I am working on a project which contains an assembly line. This assemble includes four processes, where 80 items would be produced. I supposed each step as a task in MSP 2007, and set each duration as the calculation of working on all items for each process. , since these processes (tasks) are doing series, when prcoess 1 (task 1) prepares 10 items, process 2 (task2) could be begun, so I set the predessesor of task 2 as start to strat with taks 1 besides lag 10 min, supposing 1 min for each item (i.e., SS1+10)

But the problem it is: duration of working on each item of task 2 is less than the duration of working on each item of task 1, so task 2 would be finished sooner than task 1! While it is not logical, because as a regular assembly line this could not be possible! In other words, an item of taks 2 needs finished item of task 1. So I wondering what type of relation I should set between tasks of an assembly line to suppose up streams need down stream but could be started after some items in down streams are prepared to proceed.

I would be thankful, if you could please reply this post with your percious answers.

Regards,
Hanna
Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Forum Newbie

Orchestrate from Production Modelling

Hi Hanna,

Many of our customers have soon realised the challenges of using MSP for production scheduling. Using a Advanced Planning and Scheduling (APS) package focussed the user on running the assembly line as opposed to fighting the software.

We have an article that may be interest to you. Please view the link below to view.

[URL="http://www.simulation.co.uk/solutions/orchestrate-delivers-far-more-than-simple-project-management.html"]Production Planning[/URL]
Best regards,

Production Modelling