Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management Knowledge Base > Planning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2020, 10:17 PM
Forum Newbie

Public Discussion Forum Deductions 1

Hello Everyone!

I am completing a discussion forum for my Project Management course and need your help! I am to share some hotly debated project management topics and was hoping you could add to my thread. Thank you in advance!

So I visited www.pmhut.com and pulled an article from the website
(https://project-management.com/top-1...oject-failure/).

The article discusses the top ten main causes of project failure. The top ten causes that are listed in the article include poor preparation, inadequate documentation and tracking, leadership, failure to define parameters and enforce them, inexperienced project managers, inaccurate cost estimations, little communication at every level of management, cultural or ethical misalignment, competing priorities and disregarding project warning signs.

The one that I thought was most avoidable was poor preparation. Poor preparation to me seems like something that the project manager could overcome fairly easily. The article points out that if you devote the time into the beginning of the project and have a good plan laid out then it will help the project manager to maintain a clear focus throughout the entirety of the project. Even if the first meeting is quite lengthy it is still worthwhile in the long run. Establishing expectations on cost, time and product quality with stakeholders is key in starting up the project and keeping it on track.

What main cause listed do you think is most avoidable and why? Thank you!

Last edited by RonBranden; 03-23-2020 at 10:48 PM.