Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management Knowledge Base > Planning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2010, 05:45 AM
Forum Newbie

Are Predictive approaches not ideally suitable for s/w dev projects???

HI,

It is been ages since we are following Project management methods which have long planning process and lots of predictions. And we see the same figures for ages like 60% of the projects fail every year. Is it that these predictive approaches are not suitable for s/w projects?

It is always a challenge to develop and implement software based projects which made to put more emphasis on project management thinking more. The main problems come from difficulties in planning, estimating and executing the process while trying to maintain a brisk schedule of releases.

A number of new project mgmt methods have been developed to try to improve the results obtained from these projects with varying success. Of which PRINCE2 for example, is the second iteration of an attempt to manage large IT projects more effectively. Ironically, it is probably more popular in non-software projects than the purpose for which it was intended. May be this is because the tasks are not understood or the requirements keep changing fluidly during the course of the project.

When we compare the same with other industries like construction project where the underlying methodology is known and accurate benchmarks exist for say, the duration of major tasks and the resources required. The success ratio is RELATIVELY high using these approaches

Is it because 'Predictive' approaches like prince2 try to understand and define the future in detail which is not ideally suited to software development?

Pradeep.B
[url]www.ppmstudio.com[/url]
Old 11-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Project Hobbyist

Is it because 'Predictive' approaches like prince2 try to understand and define the future in detail which is not ideally suited to software development?

I think that is the main foundation of the inconsistency which you bring up. It is a fundamentally flawed system, but it works. So we deal with it.

How I Success In The PMP Certification!
Easy and Cost Less Than $100
[url]http://www.pmguide.net/Recommended/F4/PMPrepcast.php[/url]