Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > PMKB Community > Careers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Forum Newbie

PMP Requirements

I want to know if I may meet the PMP requirements. I asked PMI.org but they said they can't tell me unless I submit an application. May I have your opinion please ?

I have a bachelor degree (4 years) in mechanical engineering (Canada) and a practical 4 years Ph.D. in robotics (Canada) where I have developed products, manage projects, supervise internship students, etc...I also did four summer internship in council engineering.

I would like to know if this could meet the PMP requirements.

Thank you very much !

Alex
Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Forum Newbie

PMP Experience and Study Help

My PMP Coaching newsletter (free) starts off with the first issue going over everything you need to know about experience requirements for the PMP exam.

You can check out my recommended PMP Study Process and sign up for the newsletter here:

http://pmstudent.com/pmp-exam-study-...study-process/
Old 09-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Forum Newbie

Hi Alecs,

I am glad to inform you that you are eligible to take the PMP examination toward becoming a certified PMP. The eligibility criteria to write the PMP examination is minimum 3 years of experience in the following knowledge areas.

Initiating Process
Planning Process
Executing Process
Controlling Process
And Closing Process

Please revert back to me for further clarification.

Regards,
Nymph
Old 09-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Forum Newbie

How To Log Your PM Experience For the PMP Application

Quote from nymph View Post:
I am glad to inform you that you are eligible to take the PMP examination toward becoming a certified PMP
Nymph, you can't say that based on the information provided.

From Page 8 of the PMP Handbook:
http://www.pmi.org/Certification/~/m...phandbook.ashx

Go here to download a free experience log template with tutorial video walking you through how to fill it out. The only way you'll know if you qualify or not is by documenting your specific experience and total it up.

http://pmstudent.com/pmp-experience-log/
Old 09-03-2012, 02:32 AM
Forum Newbie

PMP Online Application form help

Itís one of the most complicated application forms which I have filled so far.

If you need to apply for PMP exam you need to prove that you have 4500 hours of PM experience within last 5 years. So I selected 2 projects, One, the duration was 2 years and the other, the duration was 3 years. Then I calculated the number of hours based on following processes

Initiating Process
Planning Process
Executing Process
Controlling Process
And Closing Process

How I did the calculation is as follows:

If I have a Project X which Started on 01/01/2001 and ended on 30/12/2004,

Number of month experience of Pming = 4 x 12 = 48

Number of days = 48 x20 (Average 20 working days per month ) = 960

So the PM experience gained from Project X is 960 x 8 (assume that we work 8 hours per working day) = 7680

So with Project X I have already covered the required number of PM hours for the PMP exam.

Hope this will be helpfull
Old 09-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Forum Newbie

The key question

The key question Alex is what portion of your experience was managing projects.

From Nymph's description all of that experience was managing projects, full time.

For some this might not be the case. If you managed small projects for 10% of your time, that must be taken into account.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:54 AM
Forum Newbie

PMP requirements

Dear Student,

To apply for the PMP, you need to have either:

Minimum degree holder and at least three years of project management experience, equivalent to 4,500 hours manage projects that involved at all project process group (initiating, planning, executing, monitoring and control, closing). In addition, you must have attend 35 hours of project management education(please contact me for assistance).

Alternatively, a secondary diploma with at least five years of project management experience, which equivalent of 7,500 hours manage projects and 35 hours of project management education. You can track the project management related experience for the past 5 years working experience which it could be in different company.

If you do not meet the PMP eligibility requirements, you could look at Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) certification(please contact me for further details) which no project experience required.

Please contact me for further clarification.
nymph
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 AM
Forum Newbie

From all your explanations,it does seem like its one complicated process but well worth it. If one succeeds in becoming a PMP, he or she definitely joins or becomes a member of a distinguished body.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Forum Newbie

It is a very complicated application process. Mine was even worse because I was immediately picked for an application audit. I used an estimating process to determine how many hours I had working on project management tasks. Because I don't have a 4 year degree, I had to prove 7,000 hours. It took a lot of time but I had no trouble qualifying. I then passed the actual exam.