Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > PMKB Community > Careers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 AM
Forum Newbie

PM Job offer

Hey folks

I have been in the same industry for 12 years, I started off in design, then moved to sales and estimating where I have spent the last 7 years with a few small projects which I got involved in from time to time. I know the codes and standards very well and have done various exams/courses involved with the industry.

I have recently moved abroad and have been offered a Project manger/engineer role with a local company (same industry), which I am really happy about, however the projects I will be running are far bigger than anything I have been involved in the past and i have more experience in the sales/estimating role than I do in PM, with the exception of a few small/medium projects.

Any advice on moving into the new role appreciated
Old 10-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Forum Newbie

Hi Shoogl,

Happy for you that you got the job and promoted to PM.
Would like to ask your opinion as well , i'm looking forward to venture into management and aiming to be a PM.

I do have experience from working on my Freelance but then i do not have a solid experience on a cooperate or medium size office as a PM. Since i work on freelance project most of the time i only manage 2 to 5 people where we usually work together.

My role its just to make sure they complete their task and everything able to submit to client within the promised time frame. My questions will be , will it be hard for to be a PM from non management role jump to PM?