Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > PMKB Community > Careers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 04:32 AM
Forum Newbie

Question How to become a project manager?

Hi all,

I'm a student and have to decide what I want to do for next year. Project manager is something I like more and more so I'm currently reading a lot of resources about the job.

I have a question about qualifications you have to have.

Since project manager seems to me being something where soft skills are more valuable than hard skills, do I have to have a degree to become a project manager or is it possible to use another path?

I thought it was a necessity to have a degree but read that article on a forum yesterday and it has changed my mind.... [URL="http://thinkthyme.com/project-management/how-to-become-a-project-manager"]http://thinkthyme.com/project-management/how-to-become-a-project-manager[/URL]

What are you thoughts on the subject?
Old 12-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Forum Newbie

Although you don't need hard skills, the role of a project manager goes far beyond just a degree. I don't think any reputable company will hire you without a degree and some experience.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:50 AM
Forum Newbie

Quote from samuel View Post:
Although you don't need hard skills, the role of a project manager goes far beyond just a degree. I don't think any reputable company will hire you without a degree and some experience.
I agree with you
Old 01-31-2019, 12:43 PM
Forum Newbie

Well, I think if you get a PM certification and apply for Junior Project Manager roles or Project coordinators you will be on the right path for a career as a Project Manager.