Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > PMKB Community > Job Market

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Forum Newbie

My Market Value

I was lucky enough to crack the PMP exam in April 2010. I am looking for a job change now.

And because I am a relatively young chap in Mumbai, India with 5 years of exp in SAP Business Intelligence and with relevant project lead experience, I am not sure how much more I can demand from my future employers than my current CTC of INR 5.16 Lacs per annum package offered by my current employer. PMP professionals are usually industry veterans and I still have loads to learn from such people who are the reason behind my current satisfactory performance as a lead.

I have a Bachelors degree in Comp engineering and am currently pursuing a part-time MBA course due to complete in March 2011. And I currently also offer my services as a project lead for one of the largest software consultancies in India.

Can anyone help me out with an estimate for the Indian software market? What can I demand in terms of position(role in a project) and yearly compensation from a future employer?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:09 AM
Forum Newbie

A panicked job applicant called on his cell phone from the company washroom. He had excused himself from a job interview on the pretense of having to use the bathroom. He whispered into his phone, “I didn’t think we would talk about money at the first interview, but they just offered me the job! And they’re asking me about salary. I don’t know how much this position is worth. What do I do?”

Always know the job market value before you enter into an interview. Obviously, you want to avoid finding yourself in this situation. Some people put in so much time and effort to get hired, then shoot themselves in the foot when it comes to compensation. Know you’re worth, make sure you find out well before you talk money. There’s no reason to go into a job interview so unprepared, since there are a number of sources you can use to inform yourself.