Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Default "Vertical Slice?"

While at one company, we used a review technique called a "Vertical Slice", in which the schedule for a complex project was "sliced" at selected points or milestones to review the relative impacts on different stakeholders resources. While it was an enlightening meeting, it was very labor intensive, and was often viewed by the individual stakeholders as a tool used by Sr. Mgmt. to hold them accountable for performance with early revisions of the Plan.

Another company used the same term for a report that might cover one project OR program cradle-to-grave, starting with, perhaps, a needs analysis then planning, execution and effectiveness evaluation.

Has anyone else heard of or used these terms, and what was the application or effectiveness?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiNetscape this post!Stumble this Post!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Forum Newbie

i don't know the meaning of that term but i read that somewhere about a seminar/workshop
Old 09-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Administrator

I never used the term, but have used the technique to analyze schedules for feasibility before.

Do you have experience using project management software? Write a review!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiNetscape this post!Stumble this Post!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Project Hobbyist

Send a message via Yahoo to cdevera

It sounds more like a Windows analysis to me..
Old 09-11-2008, 06:59 AM
Forum Newbie

Default I use this!

Hi think I know you issue, I use this book called "PMadvice", it takes you through the whole project life cycle, and covers this stuff well, you can get it from www.trafford.com or www.pmadvice.co.uk. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Forum Newbie

Here is an example. We do this all the time automatically for the nuclear, construction, and aerospace industries.

This second one had all the critical path activities grouped on top.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Forum Newbie

Default New Buzzword..

Vertical slice is a buzzword going round for analyzing complex projects.
Primarily this is useful in projects where multiple vendors are involved or multiple applications are involved in implementations.
This helps in identifying the impact on multiple stakeholders involved in project.
This is used by top management to know what if scnearios..
However it is rightly said in earlier response that it involves lot of ground work .
To acheive similar results there are other tools and methodologies available.

Last edited by pmkb; 05-31-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: remove email address per forum rules