Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Forum Newbie

Time Tracking Expectations

Ok, I'm reaching out to my network for help with this one.

I'm with a smaller company, hired to make the transition to Agile process, and the Dev Director is seriously old-school. We're running a very small team of three developers and he has recently asked them to be more detailed about their time tracking - which I'm fine with, but I only want to require 6 hours be tracked and detailed per day and he is adamant that they should be able to account for all 8 hours.

I know that my 6 hour number wasn't just pulled out of thin air, but I'm having serious troubles finding the appropriate articles detailing best practices for hour tracking expectations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 AM
Forum Newbie

I can't find any specific articles talking about how many hours you should track a day - but if you haven't pulled the number out of thin air (which you haven't), can't you explain the reasoning behind it to the Dev Director?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 AM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to Jashandeep_biz
Time tracking software are important to measure the performance of the employees .
Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 PM
Forum Newbie

I think it would depend on the nature of job you are currently given. Is this freelance work? Does every task need to be monitored? If not (and you only want 6 hours), then why?

From what I understood about your concern, your employee just want to make sure that every task within the 8 hour period is closely monitored. Maybe he's had some issue in the past regarding lazy developers who don't get work done.

Why not just settle to using a [URL="http://www.timedoctor.com"]software for time management[/URL]? That way your employer could still monitor your work hours and computer tasks but not in an intrusive way. I believe you are a good dev though. So, just prove it to him that you are worth the trust. Eventually, he would let those 8 hours go by without 'closely' monitoring you.

Last edited by jayess; 02-22-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Forum Newbie

We had been using Replicon’s time tracking product suite which is so easy to use and quick to implement. It eliminates paper and Excel because it's web-based software - Replicon hosts everything from their data centers. Such a reliable, usable and great application to use.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Forum Newbie

Quote from Padraik View Post:
I know that my 6 hour number wasn't just pulled out of thin air, but I'm having serious troubles finding the appropriate articles detailing best practices for hour tracking expectations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Padraik,

We had the same kinda issues when we started outsourcing our projects, where we needed to track the performances of all the outsourced employees and I tried making my own timesheet for doing so, but got caught with a lot of issues and hence started using Replicon [URL="http://www.replicon.com/time-bill"]project tracking software[/URL], which is helping us in tracking employee time, project time and cost. Hope this answers your question.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Forum Newbie

There was a software available in my last company that was name outlook messenger, in that software company was able to track the incoming and outgoing of the employees so it was very simple to chat with all people in company. I think everyone can use this outlook functionality and save the cost of buying a new software.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:05 AM
Forum Newbie

Possible options

Hi Padraik,

Whenever the question comes to challenge in a certain way your manager's request, you will have to literally sell your counter-proposal for tracking only 6 hours of work per day.

In principle, the tracking the utilization of the resources helps as well to achieve a better accounting figures, as certain type of work can be capitalized, which improves the book value of the company.

Perhaps your manager had that in mind? If this is the case, then you could approach your management with the idea of booking only the hours relevant to the capitalization.

Another approach would be (if you really want to save some admin hassle for your team) to have a generic activity category, such as "research" or "analysis" or "training" or even "others" against which your development team would be booking 2 hours every day. In this way they will book standard 6 hours against projects and there will always be a justifiable activity, which would result in positive gains against which they can book the remaining two hours.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Martin Petkov
[URL="http://www.simpligrity.com"]www.simpligrity.com[/URL]
Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 AM
Project Hobbyist

Just explain to your senior the reason for your choosing 6 hours instead of 8.....I'm sure he'll understand right?
Old 09-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Project Hobbyist

Thumbs up Quickbooks Time Tracking will be the solution

Try out Quickbooks Time Tracking Software. Its the most trusted brand of time tracking software in the market.
The major tools which sets a business alright are the [URL="http://www.replicon.com/olp/task-management-software.aspx"]Task Management Software[/URL], [URL="http://www.replicon.com/olp/expense-reports.aspx"]online expense reporting software[/URL] and [URL="http://www.replicon.com/olp/hours-tracking-software.aspx"]employee hours tracking software[/URL]