Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Forum Newbie

Implementation of a large project

I have a project team of 20+ members for an I.T project and we are in the implementation phase which will go for next 4 months. I am wondering how to manage such a large project. Following is what I am doing at the moment.

1. Communicating with the team members on a daily basis
2. Status meeting with the senior managers
3. Monitoring the schedule and milestones

My question is how do I log the day to day issues. I cannot write on a sticky note. What else do I need to do to manage the project effectively at the implementation phase.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:14 AM
Administrator

At the most basic level, you can use a simple log book (journal/diary/spiral notebook) to maintain a contiguous record of notes. If you prefer using a computer for the job, you can use any calendar application (like Outlook) or even a document processor like Word/WordPad.

We often write notes in meetings on our shift schedule reports and just end up hole punching and binding them to maintain a history.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Project Hobbyist

sticking with the basic fundamentals is always the best way to go.

How I Success In The PMP Certification!
Easy and Cost Less Than $100
[url]http://www.pmguide.net/Recommended/F4/PMPrepcast.php[/url]
Old 03-24-2011, 06:30 AM
Forum Newbie

I agree that the communication will be key for this project to be successful..and it's important you keep track of all these members throughout every step so you are all clear and going towards the same goals..I suggest you use some sort of software to replace these 'sticky notes.' This way you can all communicate at any time and share any important files, documents, etc.
Besides this, all the points you mentioned of course are important.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:55 AM
Forum Newbie

Yes, for real communication its better to work with a project online collaboration software. Also, wiki pages can help to create , review and edit content, sharing ideas and feedbacks with team members. What I like from wikis is that they look like those yellow sticky notes that we used to remember what we need to do for ourselves , but now we can use this wiki notes to collaborate and bring together our reminders and thoughts to get things done efficiently.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:04 AM
Forum Newbie

IPad's have some pretty neat features to track the project. Most applications are free as well. : )
Old 04-26-2011, 06:14 AM
Forum Newbie

I use a spreadsheet log to track the completed actions & Next steps from the days discussion which is circulated to the complete team after the discussion. And yes another spreadsheet to summarize the day's status w.r.t the plan for the Senior Management.