Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 AM
Forum Newbie

Default How to start as a newcommer PMO

Hi,

I'm recently employed in a company as program manager of 4 complex projects that are started a few years ago.
What should I do as first steps to move from a stranger to a professional program manager?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiNetscape this post!Stumble this Post!
Old 06-27-2010, 05:35 AM
Forum Newbie

Same in here....would be happy to hear the answer too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiNetscape this post!Stumble this Post!
Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Administrator

I would think training in a PMO course might be helpful.

Do you have experience using project management software? Write a review!
Old 07-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Forum Newbie

Thanks for the replies
I have passed the PMO course, However, there's no point for how to start in a new company which has old started projects.
By the way, I have reviewed the documents and source codes and try to adapt with the new environment
Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Default PMO setup

Hi folks, I am new to this forum. Would like some information on approaches to set up a Program Management Office (PMO) for a client. Any pointers towards that will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Forum Newbie

Hi There,

In short - Start with a P3M3 assesment to understand the "As is" situation of the Portfilio, Programme and Project Management Maturity. From there the assesment should serve as your roadmap when aligned to your strategy, corporate policies and proceedures.

This will get you to the "To be" situation through implementing the Gap between the "As Is" and "To Be" you will need to implement and embed framework methodologies for a standardised project approach.

From there you need to develop a value proposition and terms of reference for the PMO, a PMO Structure that will support your serveices delivered through your deployment model.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:40 AM
Project Hobbyist

There are a couple things you can do:

first you need to make sure that your mind is as sharpened as possible. The better you are able to complete your task and the more knowledgeable you seem, the more respect you will get.

Do your own research, take some courses. Do whatever it takes for you to be as knowledgeable and prepared as possible.

How I Success In The PMP Certification!
Easy and Cost Less Than $100
http://www.pmguide.net/Recommended/F4/PMPrepcast.php