Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management Knowledge Base > Project Management

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2015, 09:19 AM
Forum Newbie

How to express what we think to higher managers?

Hello
I am new to this PM forum. This is my first thread.
I am having experience of 10 years in my field. Technically I sound very good.It was the comment from my co workers With the technical skills alone it is not possible to climb up the higher roles, it would require people management skill as well. I have an issue while talking with my superior manager. I could not express what I think to them directly. I have brought up from my childhood by giving respect to older people. When it comes to work this attitude does not let me to argue with my superiors. when conflict comes between two people , I lag in resolving them instantaneously. I do not know how to react if the person did not complete the job ontime. i was searching for words which is predominantly used for negotiation.can someone guide me how to overcome from the above issue and excel at people management skills.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:39 AM
Project Hobbyist

Your technical skills as you have said must be taken as a strength and not as a weaknesses. Since you have extensive experience, use this to boost your confidence. Be less confrontational and use words that will evoke respect to your superiors.. Example avoid using I think or I believe, but use do you think this will be a great idea or alternative? Some superiors are open to feedbacks from their subordinates, these are the type of leaders who wants their team members to get out of their shell and somehow believes in their capabilities.
Break out that shell and be the person and the kind of worker you want to be. Besides, if your opinions and ideas will be for the betterment of company goals, then why will not your superior support you on this? Take the initial step.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:25 PM
Forum Newbie

Thank you for your suggestion. Can you also suggest me some books which would help me to improve people management skill.