Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > PMKB Community > Careers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Forum Newbie

PMP Exam Difficulty

Dear all

i am going to take the PMP exam

i want to know from the PMP , what is the degree of exam difficulty according to study material question such as rita book

are the exam questions harder than the questions in the study material , or the same . or easier

thank you
Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 AM
Forum Newbie

PMP Exam

I just sat for the exam and passed it last Friday 4/3/09.

Here is what I can tell you.

I have over 20 years of PM experience. In order to prepare for the exam, I started last August 2008....I studied for 8 months every night solid and more on the weekends.

I used the following materials as my guides:
- PMBOK
- Rita's materials ...all of them
- Paul Saghera' book
- Crosswind's ( from Tony Johnson) material
- PMP Exam Simulator (datbase of over 8000 questions)

I must also tell you that 10 days before the exam my kid brother passed away... so it was extremely difficult so concentrate

Nevertheless, here is what I can share .The actual test is randomly generated from a huge database. I found that there was a blend of medium and difficult questions. Very few questions were what I would call juvenile in nature.

What I found most difficult was not misunderstanding the questions, but selecting the proper anwers. Unlike the preparatory material, the questions were relatively starightforward.

Also unlike the preparatory material , most of the choices to select from were incredibily close as to being the right answer. Even if you know the material cold....selecting the answer that PMI wants to hear is what counts. In most cases all four choices were so close that I found my self second guessing about 40 % of the answers. It is one thing if you can eliminate one or two answers as Rita suggests, but what do you do when all four answers look absolutely what PMI would want to hear.

In other words the questions were relatively starightf orward and easy to comprehend (not very tricky), however, the selections were too darn close in terms of which one should be selected. It was more a process of selection, rather than weeding out obvious incorrect choices.

That was the most challenging.....not like Rita, Crowsswins, Paul Saghera etc. That is how closely the answers were written.

Hope this helps
Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Forum Newbie

Thumbs up PMP Exam Difficulty

The exam is generally regarded difficult from the high failure rate on the first attempt.

However, in my experience, the people who fail the exam are generally the ones who don't have sufficient experience in Project Management (though they *claim* it).

If you have good PM Experience, use good study material and resources and go with adequate preparation, you have nothing to fear.

-DFB
==============================================
PMP Certification Blog: [URL="http://deepfriedbrain.blogspot.com"]http://deepfriedbrain.blogspot.com[/URL]
==============================================
Old 08-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Forum Newbie

not that hard

i just passed the exam tonight.

Here's how I prepared:
- took Skillsoft's 50 hour online CBT
- memorized the EAC & TCPI formulas and the overall PMP framework
- tried to memorize each process ITTO, but then gave up
- studied about 20 hours over 4 days (one weekend and two weekdays)
- took 5 mini (50 question) exams from PMPerfect.com
- took a full exam from Head First PMP website

Here's what I didn't do:
- did NOT buy the PMBOK guide (i looked everything up through Google)
- did NOT buy any books or prep materials
- did not have any tutors

All in I spent about $50 for the PMPerfect subscription to practice questions and the fee to register for the exam ($500?). So $550 in cost and 80 hours in time.

Pretty easy exam if you ask me.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Forum Newbie

Passed my exam on September-13-2010

I just finished my exam. Here is what I can tell:
IMHO PMP exam is not that difficult if you follow the ground rules. It took 8 days to prepare from start to finish (Morning 6 - Evening 6). I read Andy Crowe twice and thats it. Did not read PMBOK or Rita as my friends suggested. Checked both at first but they are not as clear as I wanted a book to be.

ANDY CROWE IS CRYSTAL CLEAR.

My suggestions are simple.
1. Do not memorize processes. Understand them. Try to see "what...when...why" of each process.
2. Glossary at the end of Andy Crowe's book is phenomenal. Understand each term and try not to memorize word to word any of it.
3. In the exam, you will see questions with words "never heard of" in your life. Do not get discouraged. Keep moving on.
4. Math is simple and you can be 100% sure of correct answers. (Cost/Time/Communication). Again Andy Crowe has it all.
5. Types of contract/ difference between project closing and admin closing/ procurement (Try to answer as many questions in these areas)
6. I took 2 tests seriously (one from Andy Crowe book and one online).
7. Eliminating wrong answers is the key. You will learn it pretty quick.

Best of luck!
Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 AM
Forum Newbie

Hi,
If you are serious about becoming a Project Manager, then you should take the internationally famous PMP exam. However, this exam is very difficult and truly distinguishes any one who pass it and many companies specifically require it from project management.
I present here an iphone game that can help you prepare for the exam in a fun and easy way. It will introduce you to the 42 process from the PMBOK. The game is sold on the app store for 0.99 which is much less than the exam fee, so I think it’s worth it.
Buy the game from: [url]http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pmp-inputs-and-outputs/id405813718?mt=8[/url]
Check the game on youtube at: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXsM5odjpCU[/url]
Also there is a flash version on the developers site at [url]www.kuwaitat.com[/url]
You might also want to download the free game that will introduce you to the 42 process from the same developer called PMP Drag and Drop from: [url]http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pmp-exam-drag-and-drop/id397206368?mt=8[/url]