Project Management Knowledge Base

Go Back   Project Management Knowledge Base > PMKB Community > Careers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Forum Newbie

Smile How to get a PM job?

Hi everyone,

I want to take a project management course through a near by university. This course will prepare me to take the pmp test and is pmi approved. It will also give me a certificate of course completion from the university. I have a degree in social sciences, and 4 years of retail management experience. Will I be able to find a job in this field with my experience, and with only the university certification before obtaining the pmi pmp certification?

How much experience does a new project manager need to start out with?

Thanks- all advise is appreciated
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiNetscape this post!Stumble this Post!
Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 AM
Forum Newbie

Quote from kitty View Post:
Hi everyone,

I want to take a project management course through a near by university. This course will prepare me to take the pmp test and is pmi approved. It will also give me a certificate of course completion from the university. I have a degree in social sciences, and 4 years of retail management experience. Will I be able to find a job in this field with my experience, and with only the university certification before obtaining the pmi pmp certification?

How much experience does a new project manager need to start out with?

Thanks- all advise is appreciated
Itís tough to say, I think it really depends on the field you go into. Sometimes, HR cares more about paper certs instead of real world experience; other times itís a flip situation. Either way, focusing on the positives you have and what you can bring to the company will take you further, and then obviously following through on them once you get hired.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiNetscape this post!Stumble this Post!